Do I need a diving qualification? What if I have never dived before? and other frequently asked questions.
While certified scuba divers would be able to dive on scuba, inexperienced divers would be able to enjoy the same experience on mask and snorkel, under strict supervision of our qualified Dive Master. Snorkeling in the cage is often the preferred method of diving during certain seasons, especially when we experience nervous and cautious sharks who are easily frightened by the sound of the scuba breathing equipment. The cage is suspended from the boat at a comfortable angle, with the top of the cage just above the water surface. This enables snorkelers to hold onto the cross bars at the top of the cage and effectively communicate with the Dive Master on the boat.
WHERE IS DYER ISLAND?
WHERE IS SEAL ISLAND, FALSE BAY?
HOW LONG IS THE BOAT RIDE?
HOW LONG ARE WE AT SEA FOR?
HOW DO YOU ATTRACT SHARKS TO THE BOAT?
HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT TO SEE SHARKS?
HOW LONG WILL THE SHARKS STAY AT THE BOAT FOR?
WHAT TIME OF THE YEAR IS BEST FOR SHARK DIVING & VIEWING?
HOW MANY DAYS SHOULD I BOOK FOR?
IS THE CAGE SAFE?
HOW LONG DO I STAY IN THE CAGE FOR?
DO THE BOATS FEED THE SHARKS?
HOW OLD DO MY CHILDREN HAVE TO BE TO GO IN THE CAGE?
DO I NEED A SCUBA DIVING QUALIFICATION?
DO I HAVE TO DIVE TO SEE SHARKS?
DO I NEED TO BRING MY OWN DIVE GEAR?
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
HOW CAN I AVOID FEELING SEA SICK?
WHAT IF I GET SEASICK AND WANT TO GO BACK TO SHORE?
DO I NEED TO SPEND THE NIGHT IN GANSBAAI?
WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO IN GANSBAAI?
WHAT TIME DOES THE BOAT LAUNCH?
CAN WE RENT CAMERAS OR VIDEO EQUIPMENT?
DO YOU SUPPORT RESEARCH?
WHAT ELSE CAN WE SEE AT DYER ISLAND?
WHAT IS THE COST OF A TRIP?
IS CAGE DIVING ALWAYS POSSIBLE?
DO YOU GIVE REFUNDS IF THERE ARE NO SHARKS?
Approximate Itinerary : Times are only a guide line and are subject to change
05h00 - Collection from your hotel in Town. 2 hour scenic drive.
07h30 - Arrival at coffee shop Gansbaai for light breakfast and safety briefing.
08h00 - Boat launches from Kleinbaai harbour.
12h30 - Boat returns to shore
13h00 - Arrival back in Gansbaai for light lunch, beer, wine and soft drinks and view video of the day.
16h00 - Arrival back at hotel in Cape Town.
Special Summer Price Including Transport, Please contact us for more information
The following is included in this price;
- Luxurious return transfers from Cape Town;
- Freshly packed breakfast;
- Hot tea and coffee upon our arrival in Gansbaai;
- Light lunch served upon your return;
- Complimentary beer and wine to accompany your lunch;
- A fast, yet safe 20 minute boat ride to Dyer Island;
- Snacks, drinks and sweets on-board the boat;
- Educational presentation and safety briefing;
- Diving equipment and wet-suits available at no additional cost;
- Scuba diving in the cage for experienced divers;
- Assisted snorkeling in cage for inexperienced divers;
- Spectacular surface viewing for non divers;
- A tour of the Cape Fur Seals (subject to weather conditions);
- Land-based whale watching in Hermanus (July – Dec);
- Drop-off at Cape Town International Airport at no additional cost;
- Informative en-route tours; fynbos, apple farms, informal settlements;
- DVD’s, video’s, underwater camera’s, T-shirts, P-caps for sale;
- High quality DVD of your own personal shark experience (for sale).
Should our transfers not be required, the cost for the shark dive would be R1,125.00 p/p.
Insurance : The company we work with offers excellent insurance cover which includes;
- GENERAL PUBLIC LIABILITY : R20 million.
- PASSENGER LIABILITY (VEHICLES) : R20 million per vehicle.
- PASSENGER LIABILITY (BOAT) : R5 million.
- PERSONAL ACCIDENT : Personal Accident insurance.
It is important that you ensure that you have a full day available for this tour, as the entire tour consists of approximately 10 hours. We work only with the top conservationists in the Cape Town shark cage diving industry and specifically use the Gansbaai location as chances of shark sightings here are much better than in the False Bay area.
What to bring :
Towel, warm weather proof clothing, sunscreen and hat, camera and binoculars, sea-sick tablets and dive card.
Should you wish to book your shark cage dive, kindly complete the booking form in full, sign it and fax back to us at least 5 days prior to date of tour. Upon receipt of your booking form we will confirm your reservation by return email.
Click here to send us an enquiry